Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Think Before You Speak


I'm sure your mom has told you that before, right? (C'mon now, you know she has.)

Don't you just hate those moments?  A discussion amongst a group of people, the opportunity arises, you open your mouth...and something utterly absurd pops out!  Of course it really happens so fast you can't stop it, so you really openyourmouthandsaysomethingridiculous.  Then come the looks.  Either people just stop and stare, continue conversing, raise their eyebrows, laugh, or maybe frown.  Perhaps they give you that you-are-so-dumb-stare. 

But then, you glance over at your mother.  Oh how you wish the floor would open up and swallow you! Literally.  You'd rather be any place but where you are.

Shucks, you think to yourself.  Just when I was on a role, proving I was mature.  That went down the drain faster than water.

I tried looking up a verse that would fit my post.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough, or perhaps people didn't struggle with "open mouth, insert foot" back then. (I seem to think mankind has been struggling with that throughout history.  Just my opinion.)  So I came up with this one.  It's probably the closest we can get.  

"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall." -1 Corinthians 10:12

Instead of the Bible literally talking about "open mouth, insert foot," it is a "stand up, fall down" mentality. (same difference, don't you think?)

I hate sticking my foot in my mouth.  I tell you, I do it often enough too! (Arrgg! I get so angry with myself!)  Hmmm.  Now I wonder why it frustrates us when we look stupid in front of others.  Pride.  Yes, I believe we have found the reason!  Pride.  Don't you just cringe when you hear that word? (in this case, see the word.)  You suddenly want to put up your defenses.  "Pride?  No way!"

Oh yes, I am serious.  What other reason can there be?  Aha!  I just thought of this verse.

"Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."  -Proverbs 16:18

I think that pretty well describes me.  I rise up on the wings of self-pride, only to be dashed on the rocks of humbleness and meekness.  I become lowly, just as I really am.  All my self-satisfaction is blown away.

Pride may be something everyone struggles with, but hallelujah, we have a forgiving and merciful God.  We don't have to be lost in hopelessness and despair, thinking we are undone forever!  God has given us hope, eternal hope. (Galatians 5:5; 2 Thessalonians 2:16,17; Titus 1:2; 1 Peter 1:3; John 3:16)  We may be imperfect human beings, but we can glory in the One who is perfect in every way.

No comments: