Sunday, November 8, 2009

Quotes to ponder...

I've found a few quotes I like in a little book called A Treasury of Bible Verses, Inspirational Quotations and Essays About Friendship. Yeah, just the title gives it away. There are some quotes that are ok, while others are great! I thought I'd like to share a few by some great people in history. First one is by Charles Spurgeon:

"Friendship is one of the sweetest joys of life. Many might have failed beneath the bitterness of their trial had they not found a friend."

Isn't that an awesome quote? The book is pretty small, only with 160 pages. :) There are a lot of people with sayings I don't know. So I chose some quotes from some people that I did know.

"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, or the kindly smile, of the joy of companionship. It is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship." -Corrie ten Boom

"A little kindly advice is better than a great deal of scolding." -Franny Crosby

"It may be that the day of judgment will dawn tomorrow; in that case, we shall gladly stop working for a better tomorrow. But not before." -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"When we invite Jesus into our lives, we experience life in the fullest, most vital sense." -Catherine Marshall

"The future lies before us. Shall it only be a slight advance upon what we usually do? Ought it not be a bound, a leap forward to altitudes of endeavor and success undreamed of before?" -Annie Armstrong

"We must mirror God's love in the midst of a world full of hated. We are the mirrors of God's love, so we may show Jesus by our lives." -Corrie ten Boom
Just some different sayings to let you ponder. I'll ponder them myself. Especially this one that has been said: "Words. Do you fully understand their power? Can any of us really grasp the mighty force behind the things we say? Do we stop and think before we speak, considering the potency of the words we utter?" I know I haul off and say a lot of things I regret. A good reminder my mom always tells me is to think before I speak. A great reminder, yes, but most times I just blurt out what I was thinking. What does the Bible say about our words? Now a few verses to ponder:

Ecclesiastes 5:2: "Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter anything before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few."

Proverbs 15:1: "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous word stir up anger."

Proverbs 15:2: "The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of the fools poureth out foolishness."

We would be very wise to heed our tongues - they can only get us into trouble if we aren't careful. Believe me - I know. Follow Jesus' example. In face of His accusers He uttered not a word. He, above all else, is the wisest. In this, as well as everything else, He is the best example to follow.

No comments: